All hikes start and end at Trail’s End Hotel. Transport in 4×4 vehicles will be provided to hike starts and ends if required. All necessary access permissions and permits will be provided. All hikes will be guided by qualified adventure guides with first aid training. All emergency situations will be handled by the Wilderness Search and Rescue (WSAR) section of the Mountain Club of South Africa. This includes evacuation via 4×4 and/or helicopter as required.
Clothing and Gear
- Trail running/running shoes or hiking boots(not a necessity).
- Sun protection: Hat/long sleeve shirt/sun cream/sunglasses.
- Daypack with water/ 2l(minimum) and lunch/snacks.
- Lightweight waterproof/windproof jacket.
- During winter, a fleece top, beanie and gloves are essential for the higher altitude hikes.
- Optional: Camera, Trekking poles, Long pants for protection against thorny fynbos – recommended for the mountain hikes.
Wesselsgat Weir Nature Walk
The easiest walking option with very little elevation gain. A perfect introductory experience to the outdoors for the whole family. Ends at a little known weir, offering good swimming opportunity in fresh mountain water. Excursion starts at Trail’s End and transport is provided back from the weir.
- Distance: 6km/1.5 hours
- Elevation Gain: 136m
- Highest Point: 416m
- Terrain: Footpath/Vehicle Track
- Difficulty: Easy
- Fitness: Low
Eikenhof Dam Nature Walk
A leisurely walk around the Eikenhof dam starting at the Grabouw Country Club entrance.
Giant’s Washbasin Nature Walk
Walk along old forestry tracks with moderate ups and downs. Take in views of the Keeroms River valley and see a duiker or two. The walk starts and ends at the Giant’s Washbasin swimming area. Swimming recommended at the end of the walk. Transport to start/end via 4×4 and a 20 minute scenic drive.
- Distance: 6.7km/2 hours
- Elevation Gain: 262m
- Highest Point: 700m
- Terrain: Vehicle Track
- Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
- Fitness: Low-Medium
Rooskraal Mountain Hike
Ascend the Rooskraal mountain on a single track, experience views of the Elgin Valley and Steenbras dams. Walk in unspoilt fynbos with unique mountain top marshes and rocky outcrops.
Stokoe Pass – Sphinx Mountain Hike